How to keep your property secure
Here are a few of the most important security tips– things you can do to keep your property secure.
Our list of security tips
Don’t Give The Underhanded Burglars The Upper Hand…
- THINK! Double check all windows and doors are locked when you leave the house
- Make sure all valuables are out of sight of windows and doors
- Close the windows at night (if it’s too warm – get a fan)
- Plant thick, prickly bushes near walls and fences to deter villains from climbing over
- Gravel paths make silent approaches more difficult
- Lock the garage (this is a common point of entry)
- Leave some lights on (or on a timer) when you are out or away
- Lock the shed and don’t leave ladders or tools lying around
- Fit outdoor lights (motion sensors are best) wherever possible
- DON’T leave keys under pots, doormats or stones… EVER!
- Fit a burglar alarm with a visible box on the outside of the property
- Join or form a Neighbourhood Watch scheme (people joke about it – but these work!)
- Get a great big, noisy and ferocious dog… (or crocodile etc)
- Let a neighbour, friend or relative check your post etc; if you are going away
- Make sure you cancel the milk and papers; if you are going away
- Ask a neighbour to park in your drive; if you are going away
REMEMBER! Burglars are opportunistic and will look for properties that are empty.
So the TWO BIG GOLDEN RULES are:
Make it look like someone is home
make your home look too difficult or too uninteresting to bother with…